Tuna steaks are great for grilling because they’re hearty enough to stand up to the high heat without much oil. Grilling gives them a pleasant, smoky flavor that’s a perfect complement to the kick of the slightly spicy sauce.
No additional toppings needed-warm tortillas, grilled tuna, and fresh sauce make these tacos simple and delicious.
Makes about 8 tacos
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 5-oz ahi (yellow fin) tuna steaks
- 6 tomatillos, husked and cut lengthwise in half
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only
- 2 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, cut lengthwise in half, seeds removed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- olive oil, for brushing
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- black beans or steamed rice, for serving (optional)
- Combine 1 teaspoon cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture over both sides of the tuna steaks and let stand while preparing the tomatillo-chile sauce.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatillos cut-side down and sear 3 minutes, until slightly charred. Turn and sear 2 minutes longer, until the tomatillos are slightly softened and charred. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Add the scallions, garlic, jalapeno, and bell pepper to the skillet. Sear, turning often, until slightly charred, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the cutting board with the tomatillos.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, remove the peel. Coarsely chop all the roasted ingredients and place in a food processor. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, cilantro, and lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Pulse the sauce until chunky-smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and brush with olive oil. Add the tuna steaks and grill 3 minutes, until grill marks appear. Turn and grill 2-3 minutes longer, until just cooked through.
- Transfer the tuna steaks to a cutting board. Cut or break into bite-sized pieces and place in a serving bowl.
Serve the tuna with the tomatillo-chile sauce and tortillas and let your guests build their own tacos. Serve with black beans or steamed rice, if desired.